Monday 5 July 2010

My first Mailbox Monday 7/5

by Sabrina

Hey all! This is going to be my first Mailbox Monday hosted by Marcia from The Printed Page.

I had one book in my Mailbox last week. It was my first order via Bookmooch.

The Gathering by Anne Enright

I wanted it because I would like to read it for my BookerChallenge. The back cover says:

"A dazzling writer of international stature, Anne Enright is one of Ireland's most singular voices. Now she delivers The Gathering a moving, evocative portrait of a large Irish family haunted by the past. the nine surviving children of the Hegarty clan are gathering in Dublin for the wake of their wayward brother, Liam, who drowned in the sea. His sister, Veronica, collects the body and keeps the dead man company, guarding the secrets she shares with him - something that happened in their grandmother's house in the winter of 1968. As Enright traces the line of betrayal and redemption through three generations, she shows how memories warp and secrets fester. As in all Enright's work, her distinctive intelligence twists the world a fraction, and gives it back to us in a new and unforgettable light."

4 comments:

  1. I look forward to your review of this one - I read a collection of short stories by the author and liked it. I have been meaning to read The Gathering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you like it. I haven't read it but remember hearing a lot about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a good one! Here's my Mailbox.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this book last year and reviewed it on my blog. Interesting read. Difficult (I found) but interesting. I hope you like it!

    I love bookmooch! fantastic site :)

    Rachel
    And the plot thickens...

    ReplyDelete