Sunday 13 February 2011

Mini Review: Lost on Planet China by J. Maarten Troost

Troost is a travel writer. He sets out to find out about China. All we know is that China is an upcoming super power and that it has well over 1.8 billion inhabitants. Troost talks about politics, environment, economy, food and people. His journey begins in Beijing and includes cities like Shanghai and Honk Kong but also well known landmarks as Tibet and the Three Gorges Dam.

From goodreads: The book also delivers a telling look at a vast and complex country on the brink of transformation that will soon shape the way we all work, live, and think.

It was funny and entertaining but will not stay with me for ever. But it inspired me to read on, e.g. on Mao's sparrows or the Chinese Panda breeding.

★ ★ ★ stars.

1 comment:

  1. I like Troost's books but I've not bought this one yet. I like reading him while on vacation, so maybe this book will come with me when I hit the road in June later this year...

    ReplyDelete