Tuesday 1 March 2011

Top Ten Tuesday!

Hosted by The Broke and the Bookish Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme to share your top ten bookish things. It is especially funny for people who like to make lists.

This Tuesday's topic is: Top Ten Books I Just HAD To Buy...But Are Still Sitting On My Bookshelf.

I'm a book gatherer, and sometimes I'm just overwhelmed by the amount of books I meant to read.

1. The Likeness by Tana French - the second of French's novels which I bought together with the first one. In the Woods was amazing and ever since I say to myself I have to read The Likeness soon.

2. Freedom by Jonathan Franzen - I got it as an unexpected Christmas present because my man read my post about Top Ten Books I want for Christmas. I didn't get to it yet.

3. Room by Emma Donoghou - it's a very recent purchase, still I feel guilty and read older books first, so this book has to be patient.

4. The Year of the Flood by Margaret Atwood. I have this book for over one year now, but as I wanted to read Oryx and Crake first (review here) this book is still sitting on the shelf. But it's good to know that it is there and I could read it if I wanted.

5. Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky - I once borroughed it from the library and was not able to read it before I had to return it. Then I bought it and never picked it up again.

6. The Birth of Venus by Sarah Dunnant - I mooched it from Bookmooch because somebody recommended it, now I wait for the right mood to read it.

7. Eleven Minutes by Paulo Coelho - I bought it three years ago when I still lived with my parents. It sat on my book shelf there, until recently, I took it home with me meaning to finally read it. I was not a big fan of The Alchimist but I very much liked Coelho's Veronika decides to die.

8. The Help by Katherine Stockett - I bought it and borroughed it to my mother. Hopefully she is done with it soon.

9. The Gathering by Anne Enright - I mooched it a long time ago when I decided to read some booker prize winners. I read The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga, which I got around the same time (review here) but not this poor, neglected book.

10. A short History of Tractors in the Ukrain by Marina Lewycka - I read some great reviews about this book and it seems to be very popular in Germany, I bought it and one other by the same author and put it on my shelf, where it looks nice but is waiting imaptiently to be read. Will this ever be different?

What a fun topic for a Top Ten Tuesday.

7 comments:

  1. You have some good books waiting to be read there! Good luck getting to them soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely list!

    I have read the 'A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian' and 'The Year of the Flood' (without having read 'Oryx and Crake' first) and enjoyed them both. Even though I was left with an 'Eh??' after I read the Margaret Atwood one!

    Good luck reading them all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard of most of these but I looked them up and now I have a few more books on my wishlist. Oops!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read Room - gave it 5 stars!
    I have the Help.. but haven't read it yet!

    Now following (if I'm not already)!
    comacalm.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a new follower. I have Freedom on my list as well. I would have Room, but I actually did read it and I would highly recommend it.

    Check out my list here: http://hawthornescarlet.blogspot.com/2011/03/top-ten-tuesday-tbr.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wish I saw this meme earlier today (it's midnight here...) I would have written a post.

    At the top of my list has to be Wolf Hall. I ordered a copy to have in time for a vacation, brought it with me... didn't read a page and now it sits on my bookshelf! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Book Belle - Thanks. I'm working on it.

    @ Phanee - Thanks for visiting. I liked your blog a lot.

    @ Natalie - Isn't it great that there are so many unknown books out there for us to explore?!

    @ Coma Calm and LBC - Thanks for following. I am now to return a visit.

    @Mari - I want to read Wolf Hall, too. But, oh, it's such a big one. It would suit my Booker Challenge, though.

    ReplyDelete