Monday 10 October 2011

It's Monday! What are you reading?

During my last post I read and reviewed:

Suite Francaise by Irène Némirovsky (click for review) - a suitcase first opened in the 90s revealed Némirovsky's unfinished master piece.
A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian by Marina Lewycka (review one click away)- story about an old Ukrainian immigrant marrying a thirty year old woman, wanting his money and a visum.
The Likeness by Tana French (click for review) - a psychological thriller featuring the detectives from the Dublin murder squat.
The Help by Kathryn Stockett (clicky clicky)- revealing the life of maids during segregation in the 1960s.
Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins - soon to be reviewed.

Now I'm reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot, which is a page turner at first but somehow slows down a bit now. Although it is amazing how the HeLa cells improoved the research on cancer and cells in general, I can't stand to read on every page how important the cells were. I'd like even more about Henrietta and her family.

I plan on reading The Bone Garden by Tess Gerritsen, Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand and The Lacuna by Barbara Kingsolver this month. I'll pick up which ever book I fancy reading next.

It's Monday is hosted by Sheila from The Book Journey.

7 comments:

  1. Glad to have found you from todays meme, i'm a new follower.

    I just found TessG this year, can't wait to read this series in whole. I enjoyed looking through your read list.

    My post - http://teawithmarce.blogspot.com/2011/10/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-this-is.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to read something by Tess Gerritsen....Loved The Help.

    Enjoy your reads.

    Here's MY MONDAY MEMES POST and
    MY WEBSITE

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen the Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks around quite a lot and it does intrigue me!

    I've got The Lacuna on my eReader too but it just never seems to grab me when I'm 'in between books'. I have no idea why! Will be interested to see what you think and whether it's worth bumping up my ever-growing TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved The Help when I read it last year and have been thinking of listening to the audio now - which I heard is fantastic!!!

    Stop by my It's Monday post if you get a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've also wanted to read something by Tess Gerristen and am interested to see what you think!!

    xo,
    Lah @ LazyGirl Reads

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't gotten around to The Help but I definitely want to get to it soon - heard only good things. I liked The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, but I agree with you that it does slow up a bit at points.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For some reason, I am still so reluctant to read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks. I guess it's all the hype. Hope the book gets better soon.

    ReplyDelete